Thursday, April 11, 2013

Week 1 on Beachbody Ultimate Reset


The Ultimate Reset - Week 1


Beachbody's Ultimate Reset is a three phased program designed to detoxify and restore your body.  The Reset takes a total of 21 days.  In the first phase, which is 7 days, you "reclaim" your body while you slowly phase out foods like red meat and dairy.  This is my review of my first 7 days.
 

I wanted to do the Ulimate Reset for a few reasons:

·         First, at the time I purchased it, I still had about 6-7 pounds to lose.  This isn't just about losing weight though but most people do lose some weight.

·         Second, I haven't been sleeping well.  This isn't related to having 2 young children and having interrupted sleep.  I mean when I am sleeping, it is not soundly.  This probably has to do with the coffee I drink in the morning, the tea I drink when I get to work and the coffee that I drink in the afternoon.  Even though I don't drink it after 3pm, I think it is negatively impacting my sleep.
 
·         Third, I'd like to rid myself of the dependancy on that afternoon cup of coffee.  I don't want to give up my morning cup but I'd like to have enough energy throughout the day so I don't need to reach for my Starbucks VIA.

 
The Program

In addition to phasing out red meat and dairy, there is no drinking coffee or alcohol while on the reset.  Wine and coffee are two of my favorite things to drink.  But it is only 21 days, right?  Although I know I will drink coffee and wine again after the Reset, I won't drink as much coffee and I don't drink too much wine anyway (is there such a thing?  lol).

The Reset provides you with a meal plan for each day or options to pick from.  One of the goals of the Reset is to eat real, whole foods.  Too often people eat processed foods while rushing around everywhere.  People are using short cuts rather than cooking from scratch.  The Reset teaches you how you should really be eating.

In addition to the specific foods you will be taking supplements - Alkalinize, Mineralize, Optimize and Soothe.  Alkalinize helps you maintain alkalinity and is made up of greens like organic alfalfa grass and organic wheatgrass.  Mineralize adds natural minerals needed by the body.  Optimize promotes healthy metabilism and body functions.  It includes different enzymes and had camu-camu and Vitamin C.  Soothe helps enhance digestive health and includes aloe vera and curcumin (extract of tumeric).
 

My first week

Overall I'd say my first week was easy.  Really, it wasn't much different from the way I eat generally.  I love cooking from scratch, I love cooking with whole grains, and I eat fruits and vegetables. 

There were some things that I found challenging.  On the Reset you must drink distilled water with mineralize.  Distilled water is yuck.  It has no flavor.  The Mineralize has Himalayan salt so it tasted salty at first.  I am now used to it.  The timing of taking the supplements was a little challenging since you have to take the supplements 30 minutes before you eat and then you have to wait 2 hours to take the Alkalinize.  My schedule at work is a little crazy so it was hard to time this correctly but I think I have it down now.  Ok, the third challenge is the Alkalinize.  It doesn't taste good.  I gagged the first time I drank it but I think it was more mental. It tastes like a cross between grass and spinach.  It no longer bothers me but I still hold my nose while I drink and then I take a swig of water after to make sure it is washed down!

At first, the portion size of the meals was a little challenging but I decided that I had to follow the recommended portion for men.  I am very active and I also don't need to lose weight.  By the end of week 1 I was no longer HUNGRY like I was the first day or so. 

 So, what did I eat?

Some of the breakfasts included scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast and spinach; oatmeal with blueberries and some yogurt.  Lunches included Greek salad with chicken; quinoa salad; and quinoa-lentil pilaf.  Dinners were meals like salmon with red skinned potatoes and asparagus; veggie nori rolls with miso soup and cucumber salad; Zuchini-Cashew Soup and a salad.  These were all very good.  I am not really a fan of seaweed but I actually like the nori rolls.

At the end of week 1 I lost 1 pound.  I am already sleeping more soundly and surprisingly I am doing ok without coffee.  The first day or two was a little foggy but I had started to wean myself off during the weekend prior to starting.

I should mention that I have 2 others doing the Reset with me.  My husband is one of them.  This does make meals easier.  I do have to cook separately for my kids but some of the meals they ate the same thing as us, like the salmon.  My oldest son even took some of my veggie nori rolls and both boys loved the Zucchini-Cashew Soup.

So at the time I am writing this I am already 2 days into week 2 and it is still going good.  I'll post about week 2 next Thursday or Friday.

 




Click for more informaton on the Ultimate Reset


 

No comments:

Post a Comment