Monday, September 30, 2013

Meatless Monday: Zucchini Corn Fritters

Usually in August and September everyone is hiding.  They do not want to run into that neighbor that tries to unload all of their zucchini!  But that is not me this year.  My zucchini grew but only a modest amount and then actually died early.  I did plant them late since I started some from seed but those seedlings didn't survive a cold night in May. 

I am still getting a zucchini or two from my CSA share and I got lots of corn in my share so I froze some.  I've said it before, I am not a big corn on the cob fan so I use it other ways.  Zucchini-Corn fritters are a perfect way to use them up and I know both my boys love them.

Ingredients

1 large or 2 small zucchini
1/2 onion (I used red)
2 cloves garlic
2 ears of corn (mine were grilled)
1/2 cup of corn meal
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of buttermilk
1 egg
olive oil
salt and pepper

The first thing you need to do is grate the zucchini and wrap it in some cheese cloth and squeeze the liquid out.  If you don't have cheese cloth, put it in a calendar and let drain. You can put a plate on it and a heavy jar or can on top of the plate to help press the liquid out.

While the zucchini is draining, sauté the onion and garlic for about 3-5 minutes. In a large bowl, mix the flour, corn meal, baking soda, about 1/2 tsp of salt and a few turns of fresh pepper.  Add the zucchini, corn, onion and garlic mix and one egg (its best if you scramble it in a little bowl before adding it to the flour mix.  Gently mix the ingredients.  Pour in the buttermilk.  I start with 1/2 cup and see what it is like.  This will be different each time you make it depending upon how much liquid is still left in the zucchini.  I like my fritters a little on the thinner side rather than chunky so I'm looking for a batter that is almost like pancake batter.  But if you like thinker fritters don't add all of the buttermilk.

I use a griddle and heat up some butter.  You can use oil.  I eat healthy and watch what I eat so that I can actually use real butter for this.  I like the way it tastes better but these are very good using oil.    I like to use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to slowly pour the batter on the griddle -- just the way you would make pancakes. 

These make a great side dish or a light lunch with a salad.  I like to eat them with apple sauce but today I used the rest of the buttermilk to make a buttermilk dressing that we drizzled over them.

1 comment:

  1. What a different dish! It seems like something my family will enjoy on those nights when I don't have any meat dishes on the dining table!

    ReplyDelete