Monday, November 11, 2013

Meatless Monday: Chickpea Sauce and Whole Wheat Spaghetti



When I was a vegetarian, this was one of my staples.  It is delicious and very different from other pasta sauces and most important, it has a good source of protein. 





I was in the mood for pasta tonight but I didn't want a boring red sauce.  I wanted something different.  There was a recipe I used to make all the time when I was a vegetarian but hadn't made it in a long time: Spaghetti with Chickpea Sauce.  It might sound kind of strange but it is tasty and has a good amount of protein and is satisfying.  I modified the original recipe found in Jane Brody's Good Food Book.  I love this cookbook.  You should see my copy.  The cover is missing, the book is split in half and the pages are splattered.  I cook a lot and this book shows it!

 
Ingredients

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tsp olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion cut in half and then thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 tsp rosemary, crushed
2 Tbs parsley, minced
1 pound spaghetti
fresh ground pepper
1/4C parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
 

Cook pasta according to directions.  In a food processor, puree 1/2 can of chickpeas with a little of the pasta water.  In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook onions and garlic until they begin to brown.  Add the tomatoes, rosemary, chickpea puree and the remaining chickpeas.  Cook the mixture on a low heat for about 10 minutes.  Add the parsley and pepper and 1/4 C of parmesan cheese. 

 
Toss the hot spaghetti with the sauce and add more parmesan cheese and diced tomatoes to taste.

 
Both my boys ate all of their dinners so this is a kid friendly, protein packed Meatless Monday dinner that is a little different than the traditional pasta dish! 


No comments:

Post a Comment