Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Broccoli and Kale Stir Fry with Ginger Avocado Sauce

I just had an amazing Broccoli and Kale Stir Fry with Ginger Avocado Sauce.  The recipe is from Hello Fresh .   

This was such a quick and easy recipe to make.  I came home from work and had to get dinner on the table before my youngest son had to leave for gymnastics.  I had 50 minutes to cook and to get him changed.
 
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 C basmati rice
4 oz broccoli florets
4 oz kale
2 cloves garlic
1 red onion
1 lemon
1 avocado
1 inch square of ginger
1 tsp honey
1 TBS sesame seeds
1 TBS olive oil
 
 
Prep work is important for this dish.  As I got the rice ready (prepare according to package) I prepped the veggies and the sauce.  Cut the kale and broccoli into bite size pieces.  Mince the garlic, slice the onions, grate the ginger, zest and juice the lemon.  
 
For the sauce, mash an avocado and add 1TBS of grated ginger, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 TBS lemon juice, 1 tsp honey and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and mix while adding up to 1/4 C water. Set aside in the fridge.

Add the sliced onions to a heated skillet with a drizzle of olive oil.  Cook about 5 minutes. Add 2 cloves minced garlic to the onion, cook 1 minute and then add broccoli for a few minutes and then add the kale and cook until wilted.

Fluff rice with fork and put desired amount in bowl/plate. I use 1/2 C. Then top with broccoli-kale mixuture and drizzle with ginger avocado sauce. I will admit, I forgot the water in my sauce so it was a bit thick and I couldn't drizzle it.  Instead, I added a dollop onto my stir-fry.  It was delicious nonetheless! Sprinkle a few sesame seeds if desired and enjoy!

It is AMAZING!  Really, I would have licked the bowl clean of this sauce if my son wasn't standing there when I was cleaning up. 
 
Kale is a nutritional powerhouse. It is fully of vitamins and antioxidants.  During the summer it is easy to find veggies in season but during the winter it is harder to find veggies that look and taste good. Kale, however, is a hearty cool weather veggie.  Another super healthy food in this dish is the avocado.  I love, love, love avocado.  Avocados are also considered as one of the healthiest foods  because they have more than 25 essential nutrients. Healthy and delicious!
 
You can keep this meal vegetarian and serve as is or you can add some chicken to it for a boost of protein.  This was so simple but so delicious.  From start to finish it took 30 minutes.  Plenty of time for us to eat and get to gymnastics on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment