Thursday, April 17, 2014

Flourless Chocolate Black Bean Cupcakes!


I love chocolate.  I love to have a little something sweet after dinner.  This afternoon I came across a recipe on https://www.teambeachbody.com for flourless chocolate cupcakes using chickpeas!  I was so excited to try them and decided I’d make them for dessert tonight.  However, when I got home I realized I didn’t have a can of chickpeas or any cooked chickpeas in the freezer.  I did have black beans though and thought it would work just as well.

 
Let me tell you, it did!  These were a little fudgy but also light and airy.  If you didn’t know they had black beans in them, you would never figure it out.  I estimate that each cup cake (without frosting or whip cream) has about 140 calories.  Not bad.  I really can’t believe they do not have any flour in them either. 



These are great since they are super simple to make and they satisfy a sweet tooth.  These are perfect since they’ll satisfy adults and kids alike!

 

Ingredients

1 (15 oz) can of black beans

3 large eggs

½ cup pure maple syrup

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp baking soda

3 Tbs coconut oil, melted

1 tsp pure vanilla

1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

I changed up the recipe and directions slightly from the one on teambeachbody.  I made it easier.  If you want to use chickpeas instead, just replace the black beans. 


 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease 12 cup muffin tin (I used coconut oil) or line with paper muffin cups.  Place the drained and rinsed black beans and rest of ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.  Really, I was being lazy and I even through the chocolate chips in but you can fold them in later if you would rather them stay whole. 

Pour the batter into the 12 muffin cups and cook for 15 to 30 minutes.  I know, that is a wide range.  If you are using a muffin tin, it will be closer to 15 minutes but I use a muffin stone so it takes longer and took about 30 minutes before a tooth pick came out clean. 

Both of my boys loved these.  I served them with a little whip cream and one son put a little bit of chocolate sprinkles it.  I actually told my older son about the secret ingredient being black beans.  He said he could taste it (I believe him since he has quite the palate) but that it didn’t matter that they were great.
 

That makes a mom happy.  They are delicious and healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kat - Wow, I never would have imagined beans in a cupcake, but these look great. Thanks for sharing with the Let's Get Real party. I'm pinning this to our group Pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Not what you'd think of when you think cup cakes but it works! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete