Monday, July 21, 2014

3 Day Refresh

I decided to do Beachbody's new cleanse, the 3 Day Refresh.   Last year I did the Ultimate Reset, which is 21 days.  Although it wasn't a walk in the park, it was good for me.  I started to sleep better, I lost about a pound (I really didn't need to lose any more weight.  Those needing to lose weight will.  My hubby lost 16 pounds), I gave up my dependence on caffeine.  It was what I needed to finish my weight loss journey and feel good. 

So when Beachbody announced last month that it had a new cleanse that was only 3 days, I was intrigued.  I had a small group doing it with me.  Support always helps. 

The 3-Day Refresh is 3-day program that consists of nutritious and delicious Shakeology, high-protein vanilla shake, and a digestive fiber drink.  You also eat an array of fresh fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats including olive oil and almond butter.

The whole objective of this brand-new program is to help you kick-start healthier eating habits while you fuel your body and lose weight.   This program is the healthier alternative to liquid fasts.
Day 1

I woke up and drank a glass of water.  I did have a cup of black decaf coffee.  I drink mostly decaf anyway so that didn't bother me.  Ideally you should not have coffee during the three days but I think coffee has some benefits and as I said, I was drinking decaf.  I did miss the milk in my coffee though. Breakfast was my usual Shakeology.  I often drink vegan Shakeology so this wasn't much different than any other day.

You also eat a serving of fruit with Shakeology.  I prefer to eat my fruit rather than to blend it.  You could do either.  Day 1 I had a banana.  The meal guide says 1/2 of a banana but these were small. 

I should point out before I go any further that I ran 9.65 miles on Sunday.  That burns over 900 calories.  Although I tried to consume all of those calories on Sunday, I am not sure that I did.  I woke up on Monday hungry -- something that never happens to me.

So by the time mid-morning came, I was very hungry.  This program does not call for a mid morning snack.  I had a cup of herbal tea around 9:30 am.  But I had to wait until 11 am to drink the Fiber Sweep drink.  This drink is a little lemony.  It reminds me of that lemon zinger tea.  It is thick and gritty.  But isn't that what you expect from a fiber drink?  My mistake was to put the glass down and work on an email.  Ugh. When I picked the glass back up the drink was very, very thick.  The package did warn me about that.  Oh well, I chugged it and got it over with.

This program requires you to drink a lot of water -- at least half your body weight in ounces.  I chased my fiber drink with a glass of water.  I normally do drink that amount and I wanted to try and get a little more.

Lunch was good.  I had the Vanilla Fresh shake.  I blended it with ice and water rather than just shaking it in my shaker cup.  It tasted good, although a little gritty.  I made a small salad to go with it and used olive oil and apple cider vinegar as the dressing.  I also had 1/2 an apple. 

When the time came for my afternoon snack, I was really hungry.  I didn't get a chance to make or buy hummus so I had some veggies and almond butter, which were both satisfying....for a while.  Again, if I didn't start with a calorie deficit, I would have been fine. 

Dinner was another Vanilla Fresh.   This time I just used the shaker cup and I don't think it made a difference in texture.  I also made a veggie stir-fry.  The recipe called for certain veggies and I didn't have all of them so I used what I had.  After dinner I was full and satisfied.  But usually I am used to eating something small after dinner.  I thought this would be a problem but I went to bed early so it didn't bother me.

I slept great!  I felt good when I woke up.  I actually had energy.  Enough energy that I went for a 3 mile run.  In order to do that and still have enough energy, my cheat was 1 extra banana.    The other meals were the same as yesterday but I wasn't as tired or hungry in between.  I felt ok.  I did have to have an extra teaspoon of almond butter with dinner. 

Once again, I slept great.  I had gone to be early and got a lot of rest that I probably needed. Things I normally do at night  when the kids go to be could wait a few days. The last day was the best day of all.  I felt like I had a lot of energy and I wasn't starving.  I did have a little more hummus with my veggies for snack but I hardly call that a cheat.

So what were the results?? 

I lost a little over 3 pounds. 

One member of my Refresh Challenge Group said:
"I do feel better being down almost 5 lbs. I am not craving junk, I want to eat healthy again. So all in all I give the 3 day refresh a thumbs up . I would do it again."

Another member was down 5.3 pounds and said, "I'm not craving junk, I'm motivated to continue eating healthy, and my pants are quite loose now I would definitely do it again."

My hubby lost a little over 4 pounds and an inch off his waist.

You can't really see the difference but I feel the difference in my abs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment