Wednesday, July 16, 2014

PiYo for Runners

This month my goal is to run 80 miles.  I don't want to simply run more miles though.  I want to run more efficiently.  Although I am continuing my cross training with Focus T25, I added PiYo to my routine. 

What is PiYo?








It is an at home fitness program where you will use your body weight, you'll perform low-impact, high-intensity movements inspired by Pilates and yoga. This program is designed to get you long, lean muscles. With PiYo, you'll work every single muscle to stabilize, stretch, and strengthen every inch of your body.

The program includes:

8 WORKOUTS so you'll never get bored:
  1. Align: The Fundamentals (40 min.): This workout breaks down the most important and effective moves in the program to help you perfect your form and get the best results possible.
  2. Define: Lower Body (25 min.): Get your sleekest and leanest legs ever as you lengthen and strengthen your entire lower body—from your glutes and hamstrings to your calves.
  3. Define: Upper Body (20 min.): Use this incredibly effective workout to start chiseling away at your upper body to help shape your arms, carve out your triceps, and define sexy shoulders.
  4. Sweat (35 min.): A traditional PiYo workout that incorporates effective dynamic conditioning, fast-paced cardio yoga-flows, and bodyweight resistance strength training to help sculpt your entire body.
  5. Core (30 min.): This ab-centric workout hits your powerhouse from every angle to build a strong core, flat, sculpted abs and obliques, as well as a strong and sexy back.
  6. Strength Intervals (25 min.): Twenty-five minutes is all you need of this nonstop body-carving, calorie-incinerating workout that uses no weights, no equipment, and gives you no bulk!
  7. Drench (45 min.): This endurance workout maximizes fat burning while it works every muscle in your body. It will not only leave you drenched—it will kick-start your metabolism as you scorch away the fat.
  8. Sculpt (30 min.): This workout uses varying tempos to keep your muscles under tension for different periods of time. This generates muscular endurance and metabolic changes that will totally transform your figure.
Last week was my first week including PiYo.  I did a PiYo workout almost every day since most of the workouts are short.

Although I am experienced in yoga, it has been a while and doing Align: The Fundamentals was important since it showed me where I had to work harder and showed me the ways to make the moves more challenging. 

When I did Define: Lower, I realized that I seriously need to work on my balance. Balance is important in running.  Two things you need to prevent you from failing on your face while running is stability and balance.  There are a few ways to have better balance and one of them is yoga.  The Lower Body workout will help me with that. Also, one of my favorite yoga poses is in this DVD -- pigeon.  It felt so good.

Although it is too soon to say PiYo is making a difference in my running I will say that I felt great last week.  I ran 8.51 miles on Sunday, 5.38 miles on Tuesday and 4.0 miles on Thursday.  My 4 mile run was an 8'48" which is a little faster than I normally run and doing PiYo helped me stretch out and recover.  I don't have time to do it every day but I will do it at least 3-4 times a week.


If you are interested in ordering PiYo, visit my site at Team Beachbody Coach Kats Quest

You will get free coaching and motivation!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment