Monday, January 5, 2015

Carrot Cake Bites

Someone I know posted a link to this recipe from Joy McCarthy.  I didn't have all of the ingredients so I modified, as usual.  I never follow a recipe exactly.  You can check out the link to the original recipe to see how I modified it.  These came out great.  A sweet but healthy treat to give you a little energy boost either midmorning or mid afternoon! 


Ingredients
3/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut, divided 1/2 C and 1/4 C
6 dates (Medjool preferred but I used Deglet)
1/4 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C pecans
1 large carrot grated
1/4 C chia seeds
1/4 C honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 heaping teaspoon apple pie spice (or a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)

Place all ingredients except 1/4 C of coconut into a food processor.  Process until combine and almost  like a grainy paste.  Form into balls and rolled into coconut and cinnamon.  Place on a baking sheet and chill in refrigerator over night or for at least a few hours. I like to pop them in the freezer for about an hour and then transfer to a pyrex container.  These lasted a few days in my fridge...I took 1-2 for a snack to work and sent 2 with my 9 year old son a few times for his snack at school.  They were also perfect burst of energy about 20 minutes before a workout!  They might have lasted longer in the fridge but we ate them before we could find out.  If you think you'll have them longer, pop them in the freezer to store instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment