Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Paleo-like Spiced Pancakes

I do not follow a Paleo diet.  Instead, I use it as a guide since it helps me eat whole foods.  The Paleo diet is a way of eating that is supposed to resemble what humans ate during the Paleolithic Era.  There were no processed foods and really there wasn't agriculture so the foods available to eat were hunted and gathered.  I like that it goes back to the basics.  For many people with autoimmune disease, Paleo diets seems to help with symptoms.  I don't have an autoimmune disease so I continue to eat legumes and wheat but I do limit the amount.  


I call my pancakes Paleo like because I added chia seeds and I used a dollop of plain yogurt.  Why add chia seeds? They are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acid (ALA).  They have protein, fiber B vitamins, calcium and iron so they are a perfect nutrition boost to many meals. 

Ingredients: ( serves 2)
2 eggs
2 small bananas
1 Tbs chia seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Heat pan with 1 tsp coconut oil.  Blend egg and banana and spices until smooth.  Add chia seeds.  Add the batter to the hot pan just as you would making regular pancakes.  Heat for a few minutes ...they don't bubble the way regular pancakes do.  Flip and heat until golden.  

I think they are more crepe like than pancake like but either way they were good.  I had to share them with my boys!  I also served it with an egg so that I had a total of 2 eggs -- a complete protein for the 21 Day Fix.  The pancakes would be 1/2 red, 1 purple and 1/2 orange container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment