Thursday, January 8, 2015

Project Six Pack 2015

I am a somewhat competitive person but I don't compete with other people.  Instead, I compete with myself.  I'm always looking at ways to improve.  It might be trying to do an additional pull up or beating my time in a race.  Last summer/fall I worked really hard to sub-2 a Half Marathon and I did it! I came close in my Half in the Maple Leaf in September 2:03 but that was an exceptionally hilly course.  I rocked my Half in October with 1:54:32.

I have a few goals for 2015 that will push me beyond my comfort zone.  I will run in an Ultra Relay Race in May-- 200 miles split between 6 people instead of 12 people and a Full Marathon in October. One more goal that I am working on this year is to get better definition in my abs. I won't call it a 6 pack but maybe a 3 pack.  My abs are strong but not really defined.  I recruited my husband for this challenge as well because who doesn't want strong cut abs?  I am calling this challenge #projectsixpack2015 !

Let me be honest.  This is not going to be an easy challenge. I have been called a machine many times and I can push through many workouts.  But abs are made in the kitchen not the gym.  To be successful I will really have to be honest about what I am eating. I'll also be honest, I am not sure I have what it takes.  It takes sacrifice that I may not be willing to give.  I love wine and won't give it up entirely.  This is going to be a problem for me.  I'll be able to limit what I drink even more than what I do now, but will it be enough? I don't know.  Red wine might be heart healthy but it is not six pack friendly!

I've already cut out a lot of processed foods but on occasion I am tempted. But I know I can't have any sweets and junk food and I think I can do it.  It will be hard since running fuels my cravings for chocolate.  I'll have to work through that and find alternatives.  What has me concerned are other foods like grains, pasta, fruit. I've read that a lot of people need to eliminate them in order cut the fat from their abs.  I don't eat a lot of pasta but I don't want to eliminate it either. Same thing for grains and fruit.  As a runner, these foods have been helpful in refueling.  

In the next weeks and months I'll report on my progress and what has been working and what hasn't been working.  I will also report on hubby's progress.  That might be a bigger challenge....we'll see.  

Here are photos taken on day 1: January 1, 2015








No comments:

Post a Comment