Sunday, September 1, 2013

End of Summer Cucumber-Yogurt Salad


You know it is the end of summer when you are making cucumber salad!




It is September 1st and I have lots and lots of cucumbers.  I guess it is a good thing that everyone in my house loves them. However, by this time I've had cucumbers in my salad, cucumbers with hummus, blueberry cucumber smoothies (next post) and this is the time I usually start making cucumber-yogurt salad.  It's yummy and I've eaten it for lunch or as a side with dinner and even as a snack.

You can have kids help make it or really, they can even make it for you, it is that easy to make. My son started to help but I had to chase him away when he started to eat all of the cucumbers.

There are many different versions of this salad but this one has enough flavor but is mild enough for the kids and is versatile enough to go with a variety of foods.

Cucumber-Yogurt Salad

4 cucumbers
1/2 Cup plain yogurt (low fat, fat free - regular or greek)
1 tablespoon dill
1/2 tsp onion powder
3 cloves garlic, minced (more or less to taste)
1 Tbs vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
A few turns of fresh ground pepper

Peel cucumbers and cut them in half lengthwise.  Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds,  cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise again and then cut them again to make little quarters.

 
 
Place in a large mixing bowl and add the dill.  Fresh dill is best but of course my dill was done long before my cucumbers started to grow so I had to use dry.



I used a little less than a tablespoon of the dried dill.  Regardless of whether you use dry or fresh dill, you should add a little at a time and taste to make sure the amount is good for you.  Add the onion powder, salt, pepper and vinegar (I used white but red wine or rice vinegar also work nicely).  I use homemade plain lowfat yogurt because that is what I have at home.  You can use fat free if you prefer.  Greek yogurt is nice to use because it is thicker, but when buying Greek yogurt, read the ingredients.  Some are "greek style" and add thickeners and other ingredients instead of using the greek method.  Mix all the ingredients and put in the refrigerator until chilled.
 

 

This salad has about 45 calories as a side and about 90 calories as a light lunch or snack.  I'd eat this with a few pieces of turkey and avocado to complete my lunch.  It is refreshing and satisfying and will keep me on track with my fitness goals.




Hope you give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment